Pat has over 40 years of technical and business experience working with companies. He has deep knowledge of Lean concepts, especially Toyota Kata & TWI, and works directly with companies so they can adapt Lean ideas to their own processes. He has worked with firms in the following industries: Mining, coal fired and nuclear reactor power generation, liquid processing, metal processing, food, chemical, cosmetic, furniture, sewing, electronic, defense, office, service, and medical processes.
Areas of Expertise:
Pat is a Lean Six Sigma Black Belt, a Shingo Prize Examiner, and is certified as a “Training Within Industry” (TWI) trainer and coach. His expertise in TWI includes Job Relations, Job Methods, Job Instructions, Job Safety and Problem Solving. Pat’s professional background includes engineering, production, purchasing, accounting, finance, mentoring, business tactics and negotiations allowing him to work with companies in holistic approaches to increasing their competitiveness. Pat is co-author of the Shingo Prize award-winning book The 7 Kata: Toyota Kata, TWI, and Lean Training. He is also a frequent speaker at conventions on various topics.
Pat is experienced in diverse methodologies and in holistically understanding how each business is unique, yet how their people can adapt Lean tools by creating new habits. His involvement has included working with companies and their people in strategic and tactical areas.
Scope of Experience:
Pat has extensive experience in Toyota Kata implementations, TWI implementations, Lean deployment, teaching Lean Six Sigma Green Belts, and RFID implementations. He also understands the challenges of managing a business as the founder and owner of a company for over 12 years that designed and manufactured vision systems. Prior to that, Pat had 20 years of electronic design and manufacturing in both large and small companies which included all areas of running a business.
Pat’s work history includes Toyota Kata, TWI, Lean, financials, electronics, RFID implementations, purchasing, HR, technology and innovative approaches to product design and productivity improvements. He is also the co-author of a book on how to implement habits as a method for Continuous Improvement and Innovation.
While working at TMAC he has trained, implemented and assisted many companies both in the United States and Internationally in small, medium and large company situations. He started his career as an intern with the Chicago Transit Authority designing rail cars. Later he worked at Motorola for over 16 years as a Microwave Design Engineer. During his time with Motorola he also worked in manufacturing and management. As a Vice President of Operations for a contract manufacturing company, he turned a bankrupt operation into a profitable venture within one year. Later he managed multiple plants while directing their purchasing and manufacturing operations for computers at Tandy Electronics. He then founded and managed his own company designing and manufacturing vision systems for handicapped and municipal applications.
Education and Training:
- Bachelor of Science – Electrical Engineering, Marquette University
- Master of Business Administration, Loyola University
- Lean Bronze Certificate
- Lean Accounting
- LSS Black Belt
- TWI Certified Trainer and Coach
- Multiple certifications from NIST MEP in Lean Tools
- Shingo Prize Examiner
- Andromeda Visual Financial Income Outcome Facilitator
- Innovation Engineering
- ISO Lead Auditor
- Toyota Kata
- CompTia RFID + certified
- Foreign Languages: Fluent in French
Honors, Awards and Special Accomplishments:
- Shingo Prize for Research and Professional Publications Award (2013) for co-authoring The 7 Kata: Toyota Kata, TWI, and Lean Training
- TWI Summit (2010-2015), Annual presentations
- TWI Summit, (2016), Panel discussion with Patrick Graupp TWI Senior Master Trainer & Jamie Finchbaugh author of “The Hitchhikers Guide to Lean: Lessons from the Road”
- Texas Workforce Commission, Panel discussions on Job Skills (2015-2016)
- Lean HR Summit presentation (2015)
- ASQ & IIE chapter meetings, periodic presentations (2011-2016)
- NIST MEP annul conference presentations (2009-2015)
- Empire Industries, Inc. – President
- Tandy Electronics – Group General Manager
- Final Test, Inc. – Vice President of Operations
- Motorola – Engineering Manager, Production Manager
- Chicago Transit Authority – Junior Engineer